20 Best Funeral Songs and Memorial Songs
Music for a funeral service can be used for many reasons. For one, the act of playing music for a community can quite literally break an uncomfortable silence or help provide a distraction from people’s thoughts and grief. More often, funeral songs can help a community grieve together and allow for the sharing of ideas, thoughts, and feelings that only music can bring.
When it comes to picking funeral songs or memorial songs, there are a variety of genres that you can choose from. Whether you’re looking for something from a prominent country singer like Garth Brooks or Carrie Underwood, or a timeless classic like Mariah Carey or Luther Vandross, there are countless of funeral songs that can be used to help commemorate a loved one.
As with every other aspect of the funeral services, it’s best to find a funeral song that is personal to the bereaved, friends, and family or perhaps a memorial song by a singer or band that was a particular favorite of the loved one. That being said, when it comes to funeral songs, there are many to choose from that can create the right tone for a funeral service.
There is no right or wrong song to play at a funeral. You should think about which funeral songs feel right to you and your family members, as songs can be a powerful factor when processing grief. Don't be shy about asking others for their feedback about potential funeral songs.
Many people also like to create memorial websites, where they can easily share funeral information with friends and family members and collect photos and stories.
Here are 20 of the most popular funeral songs that you can use for a memorial service for a loved one:
20. “Bye Bye” by Mariah Carey
Genre: R&B, Hip-Hop
19. “Butterfly Kisses” by Bob Carlisle
Genre: Pop, Christian
18. “Nightingale” by Demi Lovato
17. “Like You’ll Never See Me Again” by Alicia Keys
16. “Sad Song” by We The Kings featuring Elena Coats
15. “One Call Away” by Charlie Puth
14. “Lay Me Down” by Sam Smith
13. “Hello” by Adele
12. “God’s Will” by Martina McBride
11. “River Of Tears” by Alessia Cara
10. “Well Done” by Deitrick Haddon
Genre: Soul, Gospel
9. “A Mother’s Prayer” by K. Michelle
Genre: R&B, Soul
8. “Purpose” by Justin Bieber
7. “Drink A Beer” by Luke Bryan
6. “Broken Halos” by Chris Stapleton
5. “Hold Back The River” by James Bay
Genre: Folk Rock, Soul
4. “Let Her Go” by Passenger
Genre: Folk Rock, Indie Rock
3. “Dance With My Father” by Luther Vandross
2. “See You Again” by Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth
Genre: Pop, Rap
1. “Tears in Heaven” by Eric Clapton
Genre: Soft Rock
If you're planning a funeral, consider creating a free memorial website to share information with friends and family: