Funeral Salad Recipe
Because funerals have long been events that bring communities of people, common funeral recipes are generally easy (and affordable) to prepare for a large number of people, and funeral salad is no different.
What is funeral salad?
The use of the term “salad” in “funeral salad” may be a stretch. Funeral salad mainly consists of canned fruit and whipped topping, making it more of a dessert item than a healthy side. However, true to its origin, funeral salad is an easy-to-make crowd pleaser that stores easily, transports easily, and serves easily.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: None!
- Large bowl
Funeral Salad Ingredients:
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 3/4 cup light vanilla yogurt
- 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks
- 2 4-ounce packages diced peaches
- 1 1/2 cups maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
How to Make Funeral Salad:
- Stir together the Cool Whip and vanilla yogurt in a large bowl.
- Drain the fruit and destem the maraschino cherries, setting aside 8 with stems still attached.
- Mix the fruit (except the cherries with stems) and marshmallows into the Cool Whip mixture.
- Serve in glassware and top each dish with a stemmed maraschino cherry.