10 Grave Decoration Ideas
When a loved one dies, it is natural for family and friends to want to honor their memory in some way. One way to do this is by decorating the person's grave. There are many different ways to do this, from simple flowers to elaborate solar displays. This article will explore some of the most popular cemetery plot decorations, as well as the rules and regulations that often apply, since it's sometimes not as easy as simply placing a desired decoration on your loved one's final resting spot.
What are the rules around cemetery grave decorations?
Cemeteries have their own rules and regulations when it comes to what types of decorations are allowed on graves. These are put in place for a variety of reasons, including safety, maintenance and aesthetics. For example, many cemeteries do not allow glass objects to be placed on graves because they can pose a danger to groundskeepers and other visitors. It's always a good idea to check with the cemetery beforehand to find out what their specific rules are.
There may also be regulations regarding the size and placement of decorations. For example, some cemeteries have guidelines about how tall artificial flowers can be, or where solar lights can be placed in relation to the headstone. Many cemeteries will not allow people to decorate the ground in front of the headstone as it may pose a difficulty for anyone who is a groundskeeper and is maintaining the cemetery. Once again, it's best to check with the cemetery to find out their specific regulations.
In addition to general cemetery rules, there may also be regulations specific to the grave itself. For example, many graves are owned by families or individuals, who then have the right to dictate what can and cannot be placed on the grave. This is something to keep in mind if you are planning on placing anything permanent, like a headstone, on the grave.
Finally, it's important to be aware of the seasons when decorating graves. Many cemeteries have specific dates when Christmas decorations can be placed on graves, and when they must be removed. This is generally done in order to maintain the appearance of the cemetery and to make sure that graves are not damaged by heavy snow or ice.
What are solar powered grave decorations?
Solar grave decorations are a type of decoration that uses solar panels to power lights. These lights can be used to illuminate the grave site, or to decorate it in a variety of ways. Solar decorations are becoming increasingly popular because they are environmentally friendly and easy to use. Simply place the solar panel in a sunny spot, and the lights will automatically turn on at night.
Solar headstone and grave decorations come in a wide variety of styles, so there is sure to be one that is perfect for your loved one's grave. You can find solar lights in the shape of flowers, angels, and crosses. You can also find solar-powered lanterns, which can be placed around the perimeter of the grave site if you are working with a cemetery that allows this.
Solar decorations are a great way to honor your loved one's memory, while also adding light and beauty to the cemetery.
Unique cemetery grave decorations for the holidays
The holidays can be an especially difficult time for those who have lost a loved one. During a time of celebration, those grieving are often faced with the reminder that their loved one is no longer with them. Decorating the grave of a loved one during the holidays can be a way to help ease the pain and bring some happiness back into the season. Following are some
Veterans Day grave decorations
If your loved one was a veteran and you'd like to decorate their grave in a unique way, here are some ways you can do so:
- Flags: Flags are a traditional way to honor veterans. You can purchase flags specifically designed to be placed on graves, or you can use a regular flag. If using a regular flag, make sure it is made of weather-resistant material, so it will last longer.
- Solar decorations: There are many solar decorations available that are specifically made for graves. These include solar lights, crosses, and angels.
- Wreaths: Wreaths are a traditional Christmas decoration, but they can also be used to decorate a grave on Veterans Day. You can purchase wreaths specifically made for graves, or you can make your own.
- Flowers: Flowers are always appropriate for decorating a grave and are one of the most popular things to put on grave sites. You can choose red, white, and blue flowers to reflect the colors of the American flag.
Christmas grave decorations
For Christmas, popular grave decorations include:
- Wreaths: Wreaths are a traditional Christmas decoration, and they can be used to decorate a grave. You can purchase wreaths specifically made for graves, or you can make your own.
- Lights: Lights are another popular Christmas decoration, and they can also be used to decorate a grave. You can purchase solar lights specifically made for graves, or you can use regular lights. If using regular lights, make sure they are made of weather-resistant material so they will last longer.
- Trees: Trees are a traditional Christmas decoration, and they can also be used to decorate a grave. You can purchase small trees specifically made for graves or small fake Christmas trees if you prefer something that you can reuse next year.
- Flowers: Flowers are always appropriate for decorating a grave. You can choose red and green flowers to reflect the colors of Christmas. Poinsettias are also a popular choice for grave decoration flowers during the Christmas and winter seasons.
Valentine's Day grave decorations
Valentine's Day can be a particularly difficult day for the spouse or partner of someone who has passed away. Decorating the grave of your loved one on Valentine's Day can be a way to feel close to them and honor their memory.
- Flowers: Flowers are always appropriate for decorating a grave. You can choose red flowers to reflect the color of love. Roses are a popular choice.
- Stuffed animals: Stuffed animals can be a sweet and sentimental way to decorate a grave. You can purchase stuffed animals specifically made for graves, or you can use a regular stuffed animal. If using a regular stuffed animal, make sure it is made of weather-resistant material so it will last longer.
- Poems or letters: Writing a poem or letter to your loved one and placing it on their grave can be a very meaningful way to decorate for Valentine's day.
Birthday grave decorations
The birthday of the person who has passed away can be an especially difficult day. Decorating their grave on their birthday can be a way to remember them and honor their memory.
- Flowers: Flowers are a popular decoration for graves. You can choose the person's favorite flowers, or you can choose brightly colored flowers to reflect the joy of their birthday.
- Balloons: Balloons are a fun and festive way to decorate a grave. You can purchase balloons specifically made for graves, or you can use regular balloons. If using regular balloons, make sure they are made of weather-resistant material so they will last longer.
- Pictures: Placing pictures of the person on their grave can be a way to remember them on their birthday. You can use pictures from when they were alive, or you can use pictures of them with family and friends.
- Poems or letters: Writing a poem or letter is a great way to express your feelings over a loss and connect with the memory of a loved one on their birthday.
Mother's Day grave decorations
Mother's Day can be another difficult holiday if the person who passed away was a mother. Decorating a grave on Mother’s Day is a beautiful way to honor and cherish the memory of a loved one.
- Mother's Day sign: Purchase a custom Mother's day sign to place on the grave, or make your own.
- Mother's Day letter: Mother's day is a wonderful time to write a letter to your mom, filled with all the things you wish you could say. Place the letter on her grave as a way to tell her how much you love and miss her. (Be sure to place a paperweight on the letter to ensure it doesn't get lost.)
- Mother's Day poem: Poetry is another excellent way to express your feelings on Mother's Day. Choose a poem that reflects how you feel about your mother, or write your own. Place the poem on her grave as a unique grave decoration.
Father's Day grave decorations
Father's day can be a difficult day for those who have lost their father. Decorating his grave on Father's day can be a way to remember him and honor his memory.
Memorial sign: You can purchase a customized sign, just as you would for Mother's Day, to place on your father's grave on Father's Day. Father's Day letter: Father's Day is also a great time to express your feelings and words to your father through a letter format. This can be placed on his grave as a decoration. Father's Day poem: If you're feeling creative, you may want to write or find a poem dedicated to your father and place this on his grave as part of the decoration.
Now that you have some ideas for grave decorations, you can start browsing your options. You can find flowers and other decorations on Ever Loved. Purchasing grave decorations online helps you to save time, and it can be done from the comfort of your home. No matter what you choose, decorating your loved one's grave is a wonderful way to honor their memory.